Almost everyone loves goat cheese as it tastes fantastic. With goat cheese, the flavor of so many eatables gets enhanced. The goat cheese is very soft, gentle, and pleasantly sour. The simple question over here is whether you have purchased a large quantity of goat cheese, then can you freeze it for a long or not? People love goat cheese, and for this reason, sometimes they buy it in huge quantities.
The good thing is that, yes, it can be frozen. The freezing does not change the texture or flavor of the cheese. It also does not change its shape and quality. Freezing is the best way of keeping the cheese for a more extended period.
The point to be taken care of over here is that you cannot just put the goat cheese in the freezer and go away and carry on with your day-to-day activities. Freezing goat cheese requires a bit more than this.
It is a carefully done procedure and, if done correctly, can preserve your goat cheese, ideally to be consumed somewhere later. To freeze the goat cheese, you must have all the right products and equipment. Moreover, you need to follow the steps of preservation very carefully.
Table of Contents
Equipment You Need to Freeze Goat Cheese:
The best part of freezing the goat cheese is following the steps carefully. To follow the steps, you should always have the desired products with you, which are:
- A kitchen knife: The most important thing is the knife. A sharp and good quality knife is a must-have thing.
- Cutting Board: Secondly, a perfect quality cutting board needs to be present with you all the time in the kitchen.
- Plastic wrap: High-quality plastic wrap must also wrap the cheese tightly and adequately before freezing it.
- Zip log freezer Bag: A zip-log freezer bag is essential for freezing goat cheese.
- Sharp Pen: How will you know for how long the cheese has been in the freezer? For this, a sharp pen is also required.
Steps to Follow in Freezing Goat Cheese:
- Hold the cheese and cut it into pieces you believe you can use within the next 5-6 days.
- Now, you need to cover each block with plastic wrap. Tightly wrap the pieces as much as possible so that minimum or no oxygen stays there.
- Next, place these wrapped pieces in a sealed zip log freezer bag and press as hard as possible to get as much air out of the bag. Here a straw can also be used to take out the extra stand.
- Lastly, use a pen to write the date when you are putting the goat cheese freezing in the freezer and also mention the date it will expire according to the proper estimation, as it can be frozen for almost six months.
Goat Cheese Blocks:
Goat cheese comes in various forms and sizes. The important thing here is to keep the oxygen away from it. The presence of oxygen will damage the cheese and its flavor. Only some people freeze their goat cheese in large blocks, which is not usually recommended as this is useful only in large commercial and big setups. The goat cheese must be divided into smaller blocks or parts according to your usage.
The Spreadable Goat Cheese:
The goat cheese spread is similar to the cheese blocks. The significant difference is the gentle and soft texture. With the goat cheese spread, a little more effort is needed to reduce the exposure to oxygen.
Here is a step-by-step guide to follow:
- If you want to freeze it, then just put it as it is in the freezer when you have bought it. The factory-sealed container is the best to put in the freezer as it is already sealed perfectly.
- Next, if the goat spread cheese is opened, you should roll it in and make small balls. Now try to make the edges as smooth as possible so that oxygen stays away.
- Now, wrap the cheese balls with plastic wrap only on the outside of the balls. Seal as best as possible while ensuring that the ball’s round shape is not harmed.
- Now, seal the cheese balls in a freezer bag. Try to close it and leave just a 2-inch space to take out the air by putting in a straw. Take as much stand as possible and then quickly seal it again.
- Lastly date of freezing and expiry should be written clearly.
Is Goat Cheese Excellent and Beneficial for You?
The best part is yes, absolutely yes. It is one of the healthiest kinds of cheese. It is a perfect cheese as it has proteins and healthy fats. Goat cheese is an excellent source of these things. Moreover, a person can also get essential minerals and vitamins from goat cheese, the most significant advantage of consuming this cheese.
According to most experts, goat cheese is far better and healthier than cow cheese.
In addition to the essential vitamins and minerals and the presence of protein, goat cheese also has far less saturated fats and cholesterol. It also has deficient levels of sodium present in it, and thus it gives you another benefit that you do not get diabetic quickly. It also increases insulin sensitivity. Lastly, it is far more easily digestible than cow milk.
How to Store Goat Cheese?
Goat cheese can easily be stored in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. It can even be stored for more if perfectly and adequately sealed and if all the steps are correctly followed. The best part here is that you can quickly figure out whether it has gone wrong after taking the goat cheese out.
Take it out from the fridge and see if it smells nasty. Your nose is your biggest asset. A very strong or sour smell is the most significant indication here. Next, it can taste bitter or unpleasant, making it impossible to taste.
How to Defrost Cheese?
There are three main ways of defrosting cheese. The most liked and preferred method is leaving it in your refrigerator for almost 2days. It will let the cheese defrost quickly and slowly. By this technique, the cheese will maintain moisture in its packing.
What happens is that the original texture of the cheese is maintained, and it also helps to ensure that the original and best flavor in the cheese stays there. The following way of defrosting is by putting it on the top of your kitchen counter and letting it rest for 506 hours. By this method, the cheese will defrost eventually, but a little hardness will be there. It will be stiffer. Lastly, if you want to defrost the cheese quickly, it can be put in the microwave.
Remember that harder cheese is best to freeze and defrost than softer cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you freeze goat milk?
Yes, goat milk products can be frozen very nicely. The tip here is to freeze it on the day you have bought it. Next, you can store it for almost two months at a temperature of -18. Now at room temperature, defrost it and let it rest in the refrigerator. Directly put it in the fridge and use it within two days.
What can goat cheese be used for?
Goat cheese can be used entirely in your breakfast. Moreover, you can add other cheese with goat cheese and enjoy it. In addition to this, goat cheese can be paired with fruits as well. Apples, pomegranates, and apricots are some of the best fruits to eat with goat cheese.
What surprises us all is that we can also pair meat with goat cheese. Salami and prosciutto are two types of meat that taste best with goat cheese.
How to freeze goat cheese well?
Yes. It freezes perfectly well. Three main variables decide how well your cheese freezes
The first thing is the quality of the cheese that you have used for freezing.
Next, the temperature of the freezer, and lastly, how well you have wrapped and sealed the cheese before freezing it.
Can you freeze soft goat cheese?
Soft goat cheese can also be frozen using simple techniques. There is no time or decided time when the cheese will turn nasty, smelly, or not eatable. It can be approximately frozen until six months.
Cheese is liked all over the world. There is hardly anyone who does not like cheese. Whatever you think can be paired with cheese according to your taste and liking.
To enjoy your goat cheese for a more extended period, make sure that every step you take is perfect, only that the goat cheese can be consumed later in its original shape, quality, and texture.
It is beneficial to buy cheese at once and then store it later for use, as no one can buy a large amount of cheese together. So, when you have to buy goat cheese in massive amounts or even less, go to Costco to purchase it as it offers discounts and approximately. Always its price is $3 less than a different store.