When presented with a choice between pizza and quiche, 99% of people will choose the hidden option to eat both. That being said, quiche is the staple food that can be served at any time of the day regardless of the occasion.
However, baking quiche all the time can be very tiresome. Therefore, people at home as well as restaurants make quiche in batches and safely secure it to reheat at a later time.
If you love quiche, you probably have some leftovers in your fridge right now. But the problem with reheating refrigerated quiche is that it never tastes as good as the first time. Well, now anymore! Here is my guide on how to reheat quiche and bring back its freshness.
Problems with Reheating Quiche
Most of the time, people eat their quiche cold due to the fear of ruining the great taste by reheating quiche. The main reason is that quiche consists of crust and eggs. Both of these ingredients become rubbery and soggy if left in the refrigerator for a long period of time. What if I tell you that you can enjoy that same great taste of the fresh quiche again? Sounds exciting, doesn’t it!
According to online comments, quiche becomes inedible when heated in the microwave. It is because the microwave oven heats up stuff way faster than the heat is absorbed to the inside. As a result, the food becomes dry on the outside while remaining cold on the inside.
Moreover, some people even ruined their quiche by trying to reheat quiche in the oven at a high temperature. So in this guide, I will show you how you can try reheating frozen quiche or some refrigerator quiche at home.
Can you even Reheat Quiche?
Of course, you can reheat quiche. As a matter of fact, many chefs around the world use a technique known as make-ahead food. It basically means that time-consuming dishes like quiche are made in large batches ahead of the serving time and are preserved in the fridge.
When the customer orders a quiche, the chef takes it out from the fridge and uses an oven to reheat the quiche to make it fresh again. Therefore, quiche can be reheated, but you can ruin the food if you are not careful enough with your reheating technique.
The Best Way to Reheat Quiche
Many people ask what the best way to reheat quiche is? I know you are wondering too. According to a French chef, the best way of reheating quiche the next day is to use an oven.
A standard oven creates a preheated environment and provides optimum time for the quiche to absorb as much heat as it requires. This phenomenon of slow cooking takes longer than a microwave, but it guarantees that your food becomes as good as freshly cooked quiche.
How to Reheat Quiche in the Oven?
Quiche is made from two sensitive ingredients that can become rubbery very quickly. Therefore it is best to provide a suitable temperature as well as considerable time to let the quiche regain its texture. If you are good with handling ovens, stop wasting time and let the reheating begin:
- First things first, take out the quiche from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven all the way to 370-380 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally, preheating takes 10-12 minutes so let the quiche sit on the kitchen shelf while the oven preheats.
- Lightly grease the baking pan with some butter to bring back that crisp on the crust.
- Moreover, inspect the quiche for any signs of browned crust because this is the part that’ll overcook the first.
- In case you notice any brown edges, cover that part with aluminum foil (the curst guardian).
- Put quiche on the baking pan and let it cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- To prevent overcooking, keep checking the quiche and take it out as soon as the internal temperature hits 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Reheating Frozen Quiche in the Oven:
The 10-15 minutes timer is only for quiche at room temperature, i.e., 25-30 degrees Celsius. However, if you forgot to let the quiche rest on the kitchen shelf before heating, the timing may vary.
- A cold refrigerated (not frozen) quiche needs to be cooked in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- However, still, it is beneficial to check the temperature after 15 minutes to see if the internal thermometer shows 165 degrees F.
Furthermore, some companies even ship frozen quiche. Or sometimes, you just preserved a quiche in the freezer due to the uncertainty of time. In any case, here is how to reheat frozen precooked quiche:
- Frozen quiche cannot thaw while resting on a kitchen shelf. Therefore, you need the oven to do the thawing job as well.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the frozen quiche in a baking pan and put it in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Start checking the internal temperature using a food thermometer after 20 minutes.
- Take out the quiche as soon as the reading hits 165 degrees F.
Toaster Oven Method to Reheat Quiche
A toaster oven works in the same way as a typical oven, only better. Usually, toaster ovens have built-in fans that circulate the heat throughout the container. This ensures a faster cooking time as well as efficient reheating of stuff all the way to the last layer. Therefore, if you have a toaster oven and even lesser time, you can follow this method:
- Take out the quiche from the fridge already! And set it aside on a kitchen shelf at room temperature.
- This allows the ingredients to regain their strength, flavor, and texture without becoming soggy.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it preheats faster than a normal oven, so make sure to take out the quiche 10 minutes before preheating.
- Lightly grease the baking container and inspect the quiche for any signs of brownish crust.
- Cover the browned or golden crust with the crust guard (aluminum sheet) and put the quiche in the toaster oven
- Usually, it takes around 5-10 minutes to reheat quiche. However, the timing may vary depending on the power of the oven and the thickness of the quiche.
- Take out quiche as soon as the food thermometer shows the internal temperature to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
|Type of quiche||Time in toaster|
|Room temperature||7-10 minutes|
Although these are the timing that I tested myself. You should still keep checking for signs of overcooking and internal temperature every 5 minutes.
How to Reheat Quiche in the Microwave
This method should only be used if you have no other option. Ask any chef around the world; each one of them will warn you about the consequences of reheating quiche in the microwave. It is because the microwave blasts heat rays only to the visible portion of the food.
Quiche is made up of many layers of yummy ingredients and bread. As a result, the top and bottom of the quiche become heated quickly while the inner layers are still left cold. When you try to heat, even more, the outside becomes rubbery and dry.
However, there is still one way to reheat quiche in the microwave while keeping it significantly moist and edible.
- Turn on the microwave at 50% power (Maximum!)
- Splash the quiche with a few drops of water or oil and place it in the microwave container.
- Never! I repeat, never try to cover the crust with aluminum foil in this method.
- Heat the quiche for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the crust.
Now for the technical part, don’t take out the quiche when the reheating is completed. Let it sit inside the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute before opening the microwave’s lid. This step is crucial as it allows the quiche to absorb all the moisture and become significantly fresh and moist.
The Quick Guide to Store Quiche
If you have ever cooked quiche, you know it is a lengthy task. Therefore, it is not in your favor to cook fresh quiche every time you get the craving. However, what you can do is make quiche in a larger amount and preserve it for later.
Moreover, sometimes it is impossible to consume a whole quiche in one sitting, especially if you are alone. Therefore, you have leftover quiche, and the best option is to store it and eat at a later time.
- When you are done making quiche, let it rest on the kitchen shelf till it becomes cold.
- Never cover the quiche while it is cooling down, or else the food may lose all its taste and texture.
- Once the quiche is cold enough, wrap it properly using plastic wrapping paper or preserving towels.
- Add another layer of newspaper to the wrapping. This prevents loss of moisture from the quiche.
- Freeze the quiche by placing it in the center of the freezer.
A quiche preserved by freezing is good for reheating for up to 15 days. However, it is best never to reheat frozen quiche and then put it back in the freezer to preserve it again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to reheat frozen quiche?
Frozen quiche takes a lot longer than refrigerated quiche. Therefore, you can reheat quiche in an oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes.
What is the recommended internal temperature of reheated quiche?
According to Christophe Bacquie, quiche is considered to be reheated if the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long to reheat quiche?
The optimum time for reheating quiche depends on the medium of heating. For instance, an oven takes 15 minutes, a toaster takes 10 minutes, and a microwave takes 3 minutes to reheat quiche.
How to reheat a quiche from refrigerated?
Take out the quiche from the fridge and let it rest on the kitchen shelf for at least 10 minutes at room temperature. Use a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit to reheat this quiche.
How long to reheat quiche in the microwave?
You can reheat quiche in the microwave by adding extra moisture and heating for 3 to 5 minutes.
Quiche is the favorite food of the French, but nowadays, it is consumed all around the world. However, quiche is rich in calories, and hence you are often left with leftover quiche. By using the methods of this article, you can easily reheat leftover quiche and make it taste as good as fresh quiche all the time.